He’s told you that you’re dating exclusively, and you’ve said the same. This is what you’ve been waiting for… but is it the same as being in a committed relationship? Are you sure you two are on the same page?
What Does An Exclusive Relationship Mean?
Women generally take the stance that exclusivity and commitment are the same. Most women theorize that once you've told someone you want to date them exclusively, you are committed to only them. You've made a commitment to be faithful and put energy in only that relationship.
What's the Issue? Many Men Have a Different Take on This.
Some men (and even some women) feel that exclusive means that there is no hooking up with someone else (i.e. no making out, no dating, and of course no sex with anyone else). A man’s theory on commitment is that it evolves slowly, long after exclusivity.
Example: If I’m in an exclusive relationship, I might still stay home while she’s spending time with her family. If I’m committed, then I’m doing things with her and her family. Commitment is when lives are intertwined so much that our lives become one unified life and others have to check in with you and your partner if they want to make plans.
How to Find You If You're in a Committed or Exclusive Relationship
Through conversation. This is the only way to know you're exclusive: talk about it. At some point in your relationship this will come up—it doesn’t just happen. You both have to agree that this is what you want.
What is a Committed Relationship?
It’s when both couples have a clear notion of who their partner is: faults, flaws and weaknesses in all their glory; and yet they make a conscious choice to be with that person in spite of all of those things (and in some cases, because of those things). Here are other signs of a committed relationship:
● You’ve been dating a significant amount of time (at least 6 months of exclusive dating).
● You’ve met each other’s family and friends.
● You are living together in some form—be it weekends or full time.
● You have belongings at each other’s homes.
● You are expected to be there for the other: emotionally and physically available to your partner not just when you feel like it or when it’s convenient to you.
How to Talk About Exclusivity vs. Commitment with Your Partner
Communication is key in any relationship especially one that is blossoming. Having uncertainty around your partners feelings on exclusivity and commitment within your relationship can be stressful. So how can you get on the same page? It’s time to have “the talk,” the exclusive relationship talk. Here are some pointers to keep it cool, casual, and effective:
• IMPORTANT! Do NOT have the exclusive relationship talk over text! Texting is a sure way to misread and miscommunicate thoughts.
• Talk to your partner face-to-face in a comfortable and private setting.
• Determine what you need out of the exclusive relationship talk and practice your thoughts out loud.
• Don’t go in guns blazing! Stay positive and remember that no matter what, your worthy of a mutually satisfying relationship.
• Be honest with your partner and with yourself. Life’s too short to hold back your true feelings.
Learn More About Your Relationship by Talking with a Psychic
Are you still feeling uncertain? We’re here to help! A reading with a love Psychic can provide you clarity, insight, and an intuitive look into your partner’s perspective. Our Psychics can help you prepare for your exclusive relationship talk and offer next steps for moving forward.